The Canihan Family vineyards are ideally located in the Sonoma Valley, and because we border on the Los Carneros Appellation, the vineyards receive the cool evening breezes and frequent fog from San Francisco Bay that provide for perfect grape growing conditions.
Organic vineyard management practices, dry-farming, hand-harvesting only at complete ripeness, fermentation with naturally occurring native yeast, and no fining or filtering result in flavorful wines expressive of our “terroir”. Our commitment to elegant and flavorful wine is also evidenced by our low yields, which never exceed two tons per acre.
We are thrilled that our first wine produced was judged by 47 judges over three days and awarded “Best of Show Red Wine” from over 4,300 wines at the prestigious 2007 San Francisco International Wine Competition.
Colleague and Sonoma winery owner, Dave Rafanelli recently tasted our wines and was delightfully impressed, commenting that “These three wines really impress me; in particular, the big Exuberance Pinot Noir is one of the best Pinot’s I’ve tasted.”
Join our wine club or request information on our releases.
Live, Drink, Dream!
Latest News from Canihan Wines
We have created the Exuberance Label for those vintages that we believe to be the best of the best.
It takes exceptional fruit to make exceptional wine, and back-to-back Double Gold Medals in the largest wine competitions in America have validated our biodynamic farming practices and minimalist winemaking techniques.
Dave Rafanelli and Bill Canihan enjoying some of the latest Canihan Family Wines
Review and Rate our Wines at www.ebacchus.com
Link to Sonoma Valley Winery Map
- Canihan Wines is proud to announce that our 2004 Syrah was awarded the Best of Show - Red Wine and Double Gold Medal at the 2007 San Francisco International Wine Competition
- We are proud to announce that our Exuberance Pinot Noir and our Cabernet Franc have both won Gold Medals, and our Exuberance Syrah has won Double Gold at the 2008 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition.
- 91 Points - Wine and Spirits Magazine, Dec. 2008
- 90 & 93 Points - Connoisseurs' Guide October 2009
- Our 2007 Syrah awarded “Best in Show-Red Wine” at the 2010 Sonoma Valley Wine Competition and judged 5th Place out of 12 wines at Vintners Club Tasting # 1,489 “Splendid Red Wines from the Rhone Valley alongside their California cousins.
- Our 2007 Syrah awarded “Best in Show-Red Wine” at the 2010 Sonoma Valley Wine Competition and judged 5th Place out of 12 wines at Vintners Club Tasting # 1,489 “Splendid Red Wines from the Rhone Valley alongside their California cousins. 91 Points by Wine Enthusiast, May 2011
- Join Us at the following events:
- Sonoma Valley Wine Market December 3rd